Tuesday 16 August 2011

Thai-ish Sweet Potato Soup

I'm still working my way through the Thai red curry paste. My attention span for the food I've cooked is short, I always want to move onto the next thing so I can try something new out. Even though I was really pleased with the paste and the subsequent curries made from it, I was guiltily ignoring the remainder in favour of new dishes. Luckily it lasts for a long time in the fridge, long enough for me to make something tonight that rescued both the paste and some sweet potatoes that had seen better days. I also took the opportunity to use some chicken stock that I'd made from the carcass of this roast chicken. Vegetable stock is fine too, but do remember that most Thai curry pastes contain shrimp paste and are therefore unsuitable for vegetarians.

Ready made curry paste would certainly be acceptable here, especially as you can get some very good shop bought versions- check the ingredients on the tub for a list that reads nicely- i.e. consisting of what you would make it up with at home. I've heard good things about the Mae Ploy red curry paste, which is not a particularly obscure brand.

This is a wonderfully restorative soup, warming and salving. Sweetness and chilli together are madly addictive, as the creators of Walkers Sensations well know.

Ingredients
1 litre stock-chicken or vegetable
100g creamed coconut
700g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
3tbsp red curry paste
Fish sauce and palm sugar, to taste
Chopped coriander leaves

Bring the stock to a simmer, crumble in the creamed coconut, stir to dissolve. Add the sweet potato pieces, and cook over a medium heat until tender. Add the curry paste, cook for a few minutes more. Take off the heat, and add the fish sauce and palm sugar in roughly equal proportions to taste. It is this step that harmonises the flavours all together. Ladle into bowls, adding a little chopped coriander leaf as you go.





No comments:

Post a Comment