Monday 12 March 2012

Totally Chocolatey Chocolate Chip Cookies


I  didn't just make this recipe purely because of the name, I was already going to make some sort of cookie to bring to a friend's house. But the name did make it stand out from many, many cookie recipes that the internet offers- wouldn't you want to see if it lived up to its title?
It turns out they do, they're the type of cookie that demands a glass of milk alongside to cut through the richness. They're also very easy and you can freeze them unbaked but shaped, ready to go for cookie emergencies.
In Nigella's book, she makes 12 cookies out of the dough. I made slightly smaller ones and made 18, so I cut the baking time from 18 minutes to 16. I thought my reduced size were still big, especially for something so rich, I don't think I'd want to make them any larger.

Ingredients
125g dark chocolate, broken into small pieces
150g plain flour
30g cocoa
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 tsp salt
125g soft butter
50g caster sugar
75g soft brown sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg, fridge-cold
350g chocolate chips (the recipe stated dark, I used milk out of preference)


Method 
Preheat the oven to 170C, and line a baking sheet (I needed two baking sheets). Melt the dark chocolate, and set aside to cool slightly. Mix together the flour, cocoa, bicarbonate of soda and salt. In a mixing bowl, beat the butter and sugars together, then add the vanilla extract and egg, and then the melted chocolate. Mix in the dry ingredients, and finally the chocolate chips. Form them into balls- I did this by taking a two tablespoons, taking a spoonful of dough, and scraping it between the two spoons until a got something roughly spherical. This is technically 'quenelling', but that sounds far too pretentious for making cookies. Place on your baking sheet about 6cm apart. Don't flatten them, they will spread as they cook. Bake for 16-18 minutes. They will be soft when they come out of the oven but will firm up as they cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment