Thursday 12 April 2012

Two Types of Friand: Lemon and Blueberry, Raspberry and Dark Chocolate


These served as dessert for a Saturday lunch with friends last week. These aren't my usual style, I prefer to make puddings that are more mass catering style than individual chichi things. But I do like friands, and they look very pretty despite my lack of ability at presentation. They don't have to be made together, but the light and dark contrast in taste and colour contrast is pleasing.

I still don't own a friand pan, so I made these in a 24-pan mini muffin pan. I had batter leftover, but the wonderful thing about friands is that the batter keeps, as there is no raising element in in. I kept the remaining batter in the fridge for two days before baking them and they turned out perfectly.


To make them, I used the Waitrose Basic Friand recipe, and divided the mixture in two, putting the lemon zest in only one of the bowls of batter. To the lemony one, I also added a tablespoon of lemon juice and 150g blueberries. In the other half, I added 75g melted dark chocolate, cooled, and 150g raspberries. They were then baked at 200C for 15 minutes.


I actually used thawed frozen raspberries, and quite liked the result- the berries release a bit of juice when thawing, so when you mix it into the batter the resulting friand tastes even raspberrier.

No comments:

Post a Comment