Sunday 19 February 2012

Soft and Chewy Maple-Pecan Cookies



This is an adaptation of a recipe for maple pecan cookies I found online. I left out the suggested imitation maple extract as I don't think that's available to me, and used milk instead of orange juice. Even without the maple flavouring they were still identifiable as maple cookies from the syrup alone, just more subtly I suppose. I wasn't sure about orange juice-I just don't think there is any need for a citrus element, which is why I made the milk substitution. 
I found these really addictive, especially the ones I ate as soon as they were cool enough not to burn my mouth


Ingredients
170g unsalted butter
250g plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
60ml pure maple syrup
1 large egg
2 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
85g cup caster sugar
70g dark brown sugar
150g pecans



Method
Preheat the oven to 180C and line two baking sheets. Coarsely chop the pecans, and toast over a medium heat them in a non-oiled frying pan. Stop when they start releasing their scent. Set aside to cool down- take the nuts out of the frying pan or they will continue to cook in the heat. 
Melt the butter, and allow this to cool too. Sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarb and salt in a mixing bowl. Stir in the pecans. Once the butter is tepid, beat in the egg, milk, maple syrup and vanilla extract and then the sugars. Pour the liquid ingredients into the floury mix, and stir so it is all combined. The mixture will be wetter than most other cookie batters. Drop teaspoonfuls onto the baking sheets. The  mixture will spread out in the oven, so give them about 3cm space between each unbaked cookie. Bake for 12-14 minutes. They should be quite pale, only just turning golden at the edges. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment