Monday 5 September 2011

Roasted Vegetables with Halloumi



This is one of those fall back recipes I make when I'm too exhausted to think about what I want to eat. It only involves a bit of chopping and it never fails to disappoint. Just the way it looks- red, orange and purple- will cheer you up. It's even better with chunks of cooking chorizo added 15 minutes before the end of cooking time. Feta and goats cheese are delicious variations of the halloumi, I switch when I want to ring the changes. I like the vegetables without cheese, but not necessarily without the chorizo as a side dish to a roast chicken. It's good with lamb too, for no reason other than my tastes I would probably leave out the chorizo but go for some goats cheese on top.

Change the flavourings, by all means. Cumin and coriander seeds, cumin and smoked paprika, a herby mix of oregano, thyme and chilli are all versions I have tried and liked. If I'm cooking for people who don't mind being more hands on with their food, I'll add some whole, unpeeled garlic cloves which soften and mellow in their skin.

Note-I use two oven dishes for this, so the vegetables roast properly.

Ingredients
500g new potatoes
2 medium sweet potatoes
1 medium red onion
3-4 tomatoes
1 pepper (any colour except green)
fennel seeds
chilli flakes
olive oil
1 block halloumi, sliced

Preheat oven to 200 degrees Centigrade. Cut up the new potatoes into chunks. Peel the sweet potatoes, cut into slightly larger chunks then the new potatoes. Peel and slice the red onion, halve  the tomatoes, cut the pepper into strips. Put in a roasting dish, slick with olive oil. Sprinkle over about a teaspoon each of the fennel seeds and chilli flakes, along with some salt and pepper. Divide the contents between another dish if you need to- the vegetables should be in one layer.


Roast for about 40 minutes, turning when needed. Keep an eye on them to make sure they aren't cooking too quickly. Once you are satisfied they are cooked, consolidate all the vegetables into one pan, put the sliced halloumi on top, turn the heat up to 220, and cook until the cheese is browned.
Serve with a green salad, and maybe some nice bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment